AhnarisCraft!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Application - vlgi

2 posters

Go down

Application - vlgi Empty Application - vlgi

Post  vlgi Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:14 am

Hi!

My name is vlgi, which stands for very little gravitas indeed, but is much shorter. The name comes from Iain M Banks Culture novels, if you like sci-fi go read them they're pretty good :)

Outside of Minecraft I am studying for my degree at the moment in Mechanical Engineering in the UK.

My biggest project in minecraft to date was to create a floating island. I ended up having a lot of cobblestone from mining a lot, so I thought I'd first build as high as I could, then I figured I would use it to build the scaffolding for a big floating island above the lake next door to my spawn.

The idea was to make it entirely out of glass, but the plan changed quite a bit along the way. Glass doesn't look that hot all in one pile, and also it can be confusing to see stuff, so I made some changes to the design to incorporate some other materials to make it more visually pleasing. Because I was initially using glass and nothing sticks to it, I decided I would have to use lava for lighting, which looks pretty cool, but lead to a great many adventures in burning. The limitations of glass not allowing torches etc to be placed on it was another reason to use other materials in the construction.

I also wanted the floating island to be as removed from the ground as possible, so I decided to use water elevators to get to it, though I did relent and make a short railway to get in as well.

I also figured that a floating island would be a great place for a portal to the netherworld, then I got carried away and built a little room for myself with portals for windows :D

Here is a short you tube video of my floaty island, enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zg9qViZRZE

Thanks

vlgi.

vlgi

Back to top Go down

Application - vlgi Empty Re: Application - vlgi

Post  Admin Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey there-

Nice vid :D You're welcome to join us - email me your user name (not sure if you go by vlgi there as well), AhnarisStarcraft@gmail.com. I'll reply with the server address. Thanks!

Admin
Admin

https://ahnaris.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down