AhnarisCraft!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headsets!

+4
kirean
TheMaveric
McGeek
Blooshamoo
8 posters

Go down

Headsets!  Empty Headsets!

Post  Nautik Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:08 am

I am yet again in the market for a new headset. I've had both a Razer and two SteelSeries headsets crap out on me. Has anyone had any experience with the higher end Turtle Beach headsets? I'm looking for good audio quality, and comfort. It needs to be able to be worn for eight hours without giving me a headache. :D Mic quality doesn't matter, as I use a desktop mic.

Anyone had any luck with Turtle Beach, or any other brand of headsets? I'm looking to buy ASAP, and would rather not have another crap headset that falls apart after a few months.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Headsets!  Empty Re: Headsets!

Post  Blooshamoo Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:06 am

If you dont need a mic then I'd suggest looking at DJ headsets as they're designed for long use comfort and sound quality.

Something like this perhaps:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMWT9Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mdb08-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B000MMWT9Q

Or these if you feel like splashing out a bit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDZOXG?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=mdb08-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000TDZOXG
Blooshamoo
Blooshamoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:12 am

I know a guy that's had a Bose headset for a long time. Knowing Bose, that's not surprising. They're expensive but doth every penny. Beats are also very good. The only negative thing I've heard about Beats is that they are overpriced and lack on big booming bass, though I think they sound fabulous.

Sam Ash Direct has fantastic deals on high-quality studio headphones that also work great for gaming.

My current headset is the Razer Banshee. It's a brilliant piece of equipment and, like Beats, he only negative is that it's overpriced. Oh, and it's roughly the size of a small car, but that adds to the thrill when playing Battlefield 3 or watching movies with big rumbling bass. I hear that they last a long time, too. I really enjoy the override buttons on the cups so I can mute or change the volume of the phones and the mic, the LEDs are just plain cool, and the sound quality is amazing. They're durable and look as sick as they sound.

I have no personal experience with Steel Series, other than it was the recommended alternative to the Banshee due to it's lower price. The Banshee cost more because of the Starcraft logo and fancy lighting.

Bottom line: For quality that lasts and is affordable, go for studio headphones. For style and comfort, go for Steel Series, or, if you want the Starcraft logo, the Banshee. If you want all of the above, go Bose.

Personally, I love Bose. We have a surround sound system from Bose that we got nearly 15 years ago and it still sounds incredible. Those things are built to last.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 am

I actually have a pair of Bose, I highly recommend them. Literally, my only complaint is that they require one 3A battery to use.

I'll look into studio and DJ headphones. I didn't even think about that, but really, that makes waaaay more sense, considering what I'm looking for.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  McGeek Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 am

Always look for studio headsets, because they are designed for high audio quality and they have nice comfort design
Myself I have one headset for studios and it is output quality is higher than any thing I have in home...
McGeek
McGeek

http://ucblog.salehram.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaveric Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 am

Nautik wrote:I am yet again in the market for a new headset. I've had both a Razer and two SteelSeries headsets crap out on me. Has anyone had any experience with the higher end Turtle Beach headsets? I'm looking for good audio quality, and comfort. It needs to be able to be worn for eight hours without giving me a headache. :D Mic quality doesn't matter, as I use a desktop mic.

Anyone had any luck with Turtle Beach, or any other brand of headsets? I'm looking to buy ASAP, and would rather not have another crap headset that falls apart after a few months.

I have a Klipsch Image ONE and i love them!! they are very good sounding if you don't mind on ear headphones. I also have the Turtle Beech X12's which have good bass, because of an amp.
TheMaveric
TheMaveric

https://www.youtube.com/mactechreviews

Back to top Go down

Post  kirean Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 am

Ill throw in my customary useless comment (someones gotta take over rhetts job when nautik gets fed up with him!). <3

I love my carcharias. THen again, I'm not a serious gamer. I dont belong to a guild. I have no reason to be posting this, you even said you had razer stuff break on you.
kirean
kirean

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:35 am

Aye, Razer is a no go. I'm gentle with all of my peripherals, and my Razer Barracudas still managed to completely fall apart after a couple of months of use.

In ear headphones are a no go as well. I get ear infections super easily, and those buggers keep moisture in my ears like you wouldn't believe.

I've already crossed all gaming headsets off of my list. I was originally going to look at Turtle Beach, because I have a connection there. If a Turtle Beach headset were to break on me, I'd have someone to directly scream at about it. ;) Then I decided I simply don't like the way their products look. So that's a no go as well.

I'll have to get more info on studio headphones, because I think that's what I'm set on. I listen to a massive amount of music, and have been looking into possibly making my own, so that would be a good investment. I figure I've already spent several hundred dollars on crap that's fallen apart on me over the years, I may as well pay the same price and get something that's going to last me years.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaveric Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Nautik wrote:Aye, Razer is a no go. I'm gentle with all of my peripherals, and my Razer Barracudas still managed to completely fall apart after a couple of months of use.

In ear headphones are a no go as well. I get ear infections super easily, and those buggers keep moisture in my ears like you wouldn't believe.

I've already crossed all gaming headsets off of my list. I was originally going to look at Turtle Beach, because I have a connection there. If a Turtle Beach headset were to break on me, I'd have someone to directly scream at about it. ;) Then I decided I simply don't like the way their products look. So that's a no go as well.

I'll have to get more info on studio headphones, because I think that's what I'm set on. I listen to a massive amount of music, and have been looking into possibly making my own, so that would be a good investment. I figure I've already spent several hundred dollars on crap that's fallen apart on me over the years, I may as well pay the same price and get something that's going to last me years.

lol who recommend in ear headphones. They suck for gaming.
TheMaveric
TheMaveric

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:39 pm

TheMaveric wrote:lol who recommend in ear headphones. They suck for gaming.
I think I probably read wrong. I'm using in ear at this very moment because I couldn't get my SteelSeries 7H working even after an hour of messing with them. I realized I have a lot of headphones, but they all have a different purpose.

In ear headphones - Only use them at work. If I lose them I can shrug it off and buy a new pair for $5.
Bose QuietComfort 15 - Baller noise cancelling, but I only use them while traveling. I forgot that they emit a squelch. It's not super noticeable when there's music going, but it reminded me why I've only used them on airplanes and such. They're nice, they really are, but they only seem to fit a specific purpose for me.
Clip behind the ear headphones - Use them when I'm exercising, the POS in ear headphones fall out, these don't.
Over the ear headphones - What I use when I'm at my own PC. They get the most use by far, and that's what I'm looking to replace. I already have headphones for the other purposes that I listed. So what I'm looking for...

- No microphone on it (This eliminates pretty much all gaming headsets)
- No stupid design (This eliminates those lame looking Skull Candy headphones, seriously, who buys those?)
- Has to be comfortable for long periods of time (I spend an embarrassing amount of time wearing my main headphones)
- They don't need to be collapsable/folding, and I'd prefer they don't (folding = more crap that can break)
- Music >>>> Gaming. (I usually turn all in game sounds off in favor of music. So, yeah, I'm not buying a gaming headphone, I'm more looking to buy something that's going to make music sound amazing)

Maybe my mediocre list will help out our resident audiophiles and you guys can give me some better suggestions.

Thanks for all the help thus far, it's certainly pointed me in the right direction.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:43 pm

I'll add links when I get to my computer, but yeah, DJ headphones FTW. Cheap and quality, and often intentionally bulky (a plus in my book). Check the Sam Ash and Guitar Center online stores. They have great deals.

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaveric Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Nautik wrote:
TheMaveric wrote:lol who recommend in ear headphones. They suck for gaming.
I think I probably read wrong. I'm using in ear at this very moment because I couldn't get my SteelSeries 7H working even after an hour of messing with them. I realized I have a lot of headphones, but they all have a different purpose.

In ear headphones - Only use them at work. If I lose them I can shrug it off and buy a new pair for $5.
Bose QuietComfort 15 - Baller noise cancelling, but I only use them while traveling. I forgot that they emit a squelch. It's not super noticeable when there's music going, but it reminded me why I've only used them on airplanes and such. They're nice, they really are, but they only seem to fit a specific purpose for me.
Clip behind the ear headphones - Use them when I'm exercising, the POS in ear headphones fall out, these don't.
Over the ear headphones - What I use when I'm at my own PC. They get the most use by far, and that's what I'm looking to replace. I already have headphones for the other purposes that I listed. So what I'm looking for...

- No microphone on it (This eliminates pretty much all gaming headsets)
- No stupid design (This eliminates those lame looking Skull Candy headphones, seriously, who buys those?)
- Has to be comfortable for long periods of time (I spend an embarrassing amount of time wearing my main headphones)
- They don't need to be collapsable/folding, and I'd prefer they don't (folding = more crap that can break)
- Music >>>> Gaming. (I usually turn all in game sounds off in favor of music. So, yeah, I'm not buying a gaming headphone, I'm more looking to buy something that's going to make music sound amazing)

Maybe my mediocre list will help out our resident audiophiles and you guys can give me some better suggestions.

Thanks for all the help thus far, it's certainly pointed me in the right direction.

Have any particular price point? The companies I will recommend in general are: (in order of recommendation)

1.Sennheiser
2.Bose
3.Shure
4.Klipsch(only the image ONE though)
TheMaveric
TheMaveric

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:19 pm

$300 is about the max I'm willing to go. I'm thinking Sennheiser as well. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaveric Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Nautik wrote:$300 is about the max I'm willing to go. I'm thinking Sennheiser as well. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Yeah, same
TheMaveric
TheMaveric

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaveric Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Nautik wrote:Aye, Razer is a no go. I'm gentle with all of my peripherals, and my Razer Barracudas still managed to completely fall apart after a couple of months of use.

How, exactly do you make headphones?
TheMaveric
TheMaveric

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:45 pm

TheMaveric wrote:How, exactly do you make headphones?
Make my own music. However, I could probably make my own headphones if given all of the materials. Can't be all that complicated. The quality would be garbage though.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaveric Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Nautik wrote:
TheMaveric wrote:How, exactly do you make headphones?
Make my own music. However, I could probably make my own headphones if given all of the materials. Can't be all that complicated. The quality would be garbage though.

Well you do say this.

Nautik wrote:I'll have to get more info on studio headphones, because I think that's what I'm set on. I listen to a massive amount of music, and have been looking into possibly making my own, so that would be a good investment.

I wish this forum would let us do HTML. :(
TheMaveric
TheMaveric

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Ok, I found some headphones.

From Sam Ash, we have some sweet DJ headphones.

[url=http://www.samash.com/p/Pioneer_HDJ1000%20Limited_1364544 ]Pioneer HDJ-1000 Limited [/url]
They're Pioneer, so they're good quality, not as good as Bose, but a bit more affordable.

Monster Cable Beats Pro High Performance Professional Headphones - Black
They're Monster Cable. They're Beats. They can't be beat. Lawl. No but seriously, they're awesome.

Really, anything that Sam Ash has is at least decent, if not good, quality. A lot of it is great quality. Hope this helps!
Sam Ash DJ Headphones

Also, I did some Googling and found that these headphones were recommended by CNet. I have no experience with this company, but it got good reviews.
AIAIAI TMA-1

If all else fails, you could find your local music store and ask someone there. Sadly, there is no Sam Ash where you live (that is, if you live where I know you live... blame Husky for letting it slip).

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosscochisle Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't know if anyone has linked these yet but they are super nice and last a long time.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/g35-surround-sound-headset

If you're looking for wireless check these out.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/7248

They are a little pricey but worth it.

Rosscochisle

Back to top Go down

Post  kirean Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Rosscochisle wrote:I don't know if anyone has linked these yet but they are super nice and last a long time.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/g35-surround-sound-headset

If you're looking for wireless check these out.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/7248

They are a little pricey but worth it.

Nautik wrote:No microphone on it (This eliminates pretty much all gaming headsets)
kirean
kirean

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosscochisle Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Well if that is the case I recommend these!

http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-BB26000-Headphones/dp/B004L63YGG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1325555359&sr=8-11

Rosscochisle

Back to top Go down

Post  chaotix8000 Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Rosscochisle wrote:Well if that is the case I recommend these!

http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-BB26000-Headphones/dp/B004L63YGG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1325555359&sr=8-11

I approve!
chaotix8000
chaotix8000

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:32 am

Monster Beats are out. I should have mentioned that a few posts ago, sorry! They have solid bass, but your basically paying for the label on them. $400 for something that shouldn't cost over $150.

I forgot to mention that cordless is out too. I don't want to have to deal with signals.

I looked at the HDJ1000s a bit. I'll look at the AIAIAI TMA-1 as well.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:39 am

Best headphones I ever had were Creative Labs Fatality, they lasted two years before giving up the ghost. Very good sound, and only $30. The worst would be the IR headphones I got one year for Christmas. Static-y, and flat refused to work after a month. Stupid nickel-cadmium batteries (or whatever obscure metal they were).

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 pm

HAY GAIS ITS NAUTIK FROM TEH FUTURE

I'm here to tell you that I bought 2x Sennheiser and they've lasted damned near ten years (still going strong, despite being dropped on a tile/wood floor time and time again by Ahn and I). I'm posting this on a quiet forum because I love Sennheiser that much. Suck it, Razer.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  GapingHeadwound Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Nautik wrote:HAY GAIS ITS NAUTIK FROM TEH FUTURE

I'm here to tell you that I bought 2x Sennheiser and they've lasted damned near ten years (still going strong, despite being dropped on a tile/wood floor time and time again by Ahn and I). I'm posting this on a quiet forum because I love Sennheiser that much. Suck it, Razer.

OHAI FUTURE PEOPLE

I have had a set of Sony MDR-V700DJ since the late '90s. The plastic joints are prone to cracking but I've been lucky so far.

The bass is (still) exceptionally tight; they put Beats to shame.
GapingHeadwound
GapingHeadwound

Back to top Go down

Post  Nautik Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:30 pm

GapingHeadwound wrote:
OHAI FUTURE PEOPLE

I have had a set of Sony MDR-V700DJ since the late '90s. The plastic joints are prone to cracking but I've been lucky so far.

The bass is (still) exceptionally tight; they put Beats to shame.

HALLO AGAIN!

Nearly two years later and our Sennheisers are still kickin'. I recall looking into the MDR line a few years back when I was looking for some headphones to use at work. I ended up going with something else, but lots of people raved about how much they liked pretty much all of the MDR models.
Nautik
Nautik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum