AhnarisCraft!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If I get a new laptop or desktop...

+3
Kamisama
DatJames
Noobles
7 posters

Go down

If I get a new laptop or desktop... Empty If I get a new laptop or desktop...

Post  Noobles Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Which one is the best in the market right now? I haven't created nor understand custom made computers. I do know that custom made computers are much more better for gaming and in general. However, human-error is so high I don't know if I wanna risk it. (I don't wanna screw up :()

I'm the lazy one that wants to know which one is on the shelves and that I can take and pay.

Right now I'm on a Laptop. I have to lower all settings, Set to Tiny Render Distant, Fast Graphics etc. Starcraft 2 I run on Low/Medium Graphics smoothly. On Anno 2070, I lag a little on Low Graphics.

I feel like it's the graphic card, but a new computer seems better.

Any suggestions?
Noobles
Noobles

Back to top Go down

If I get a new laptop or desktop... Empty Re: If I get a new laptop or desktop...

Post  DatJames Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

What's your budget?
DatJames
DatJames

Back to top Go down

If I get a new laptop or desktop... Empty Re: If I get a new laptop or desktop...

Post  Kamisama Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:14 am

As DatJames already posted, how much are you willing to invest in a new labtop or desktop?
How often do you use labtop when you're not at home? Are you more of a gamer or Internet surfer? (browsing)
It all comes down to what you use your labtop/desktop for ... and of course, your budget.

In my opinion, I'd go with a custom built desktop. It's so simple to build (... even if you're lazy) and the parts are a lot cheaper than the previous years. It's also very hard to screw up assembling a computer if you're willing to take the time to read and watch guides ... the only hard part is learning where to connect each wire.
Kamisama
Kamisama

Back to top Go down

Post  kirean Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 am

I second what Kamisama said.

Building a computer from scratch is a fun, relatively easy way to learn a whole lot about the inner workings and how to troubleshoot issues. That being said, it can be daunting, and I never blame anyone for not wanting to do it. As Kamisama said, however, the manuals do tell you how and where to connect each piece. It just takes patience, and steady hands sometimes. It can be up and running in less than an hour, not including installing windows, etc.

Generally speaking, building a computer that is an exact replica of one on the shelf will cost you slightly more, just because of the mass-produced effect of the shelf computers, makes them slightly cheaper. However, if you want a truly powerful machine, building from scratch is tonnes cheaper than getting HP or Dell to build it for you.

The only thing thats really more expensive now than it used to be is HDD, but they're still not too bad.

I dont know of any commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) computer mainly because I havent bought a desktop in 5 years, and I havent bought a laptop in 18 months.

What you probably want in a COTS computer:
4 GB RAM (at least)*
dual- or quad- core processor*
500GB+ HDD capacity

*if it comes to upgrading the ram or processor, go with the ram. 1GB of ram will do you MUCH more than an extra .2 GHz in your processor.
kirean
kirean

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaveric Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 pm

kirean wrote:I second what Kamisama said.

Building a computer from scratch is a fun, relatively easy way to learn a whole lot about the inner workings and how to troubleshoot issues. That being said, it can be daunting, and I never blame anyone for not wanting to do it. As Kamisama said, however, the manuals do tell you how and where to connect each piece. It just takes patience, and steady hands sometimes. It can be up and running in less than an hour, not including installing windows, etc.

Generally speaking, building a computer that is an exact replica of one on the shelf will cost you slightly more, just because of the mass-produced effect of the shelf computers, makes them slightly cheaper. However, if you want a truly powerful machine, building from scratch is tonnes cheaper than getting HP or Dell to build it for you.

The only thing thats really more expensive now than it used to be is HDD, but they're still not too bad.

I dont know of any commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) computer mainly because I havent bought a desktop in 5 years, and I havent bought a laptop in 18 months.

What you probably want in a COTS computer:
4 GB RAM (at least)*
dual- or quad- core processor*
500GB+ HDD capacity

*if it comes to upgrading the ram or processor, go with the ram. 1GB of ram will do you MUCH more than an extra .2 GHz in your processor.

Agreed, If you need a good build for sub $600, I can give you my build.

Mobo: some asus one, about $130
CPU: i3-2100 Sandy Bridge
GFX Card: GTX 460 (kinda old if you have more money I recommend a GTX 560ti or if less money a 550ti
Hard Drive: Personal Preference, I have a 320GB(Windows) 1TB(Hackintosh Attempt)
Case: Pers. Pref.

I'll edit this if I realize I forgot something...

Last edited by TheMaveric on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I SPEAKEZ THE GUDZ ENGRISH!!!)
TheMaveric
TheMaveric

https://www.youtube.com/mactechreviews

Back to top Go down

Post  BigGWesty Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:51 am

TheMaveric wrote:
Hard Drive: Personal Preference, I have a 320GB(Windows) 1TB(Hackintosh Attempt)
You wouldn't happen to have model numbers would you? Or anything that would identify the exact hard drive you have. I'm looking for hard drives but everywhere I look I'm seeing them for $450+ and they're all around 160GB.
Since you're saying your PC is sub $600 and has 1TB AND 360GB hard drives, I'm guessing I'm looking for hard drives in the wrong places, or I'm looking at the wrong brands and they just want me to pay for the brand of hard drive.

That's one thing I don't like about todays market especially. The amount you pay for the brand name is ridiculous.
You've always had to pay for the brand but 500% or more interest on a burger is ridiculous. Those macdonalds burgers cost something like 25 cents to mass produce, package and send out. Then about 30 cents to cook and prepare (badly usually).
In britain it's all roughly the same amount and we pay £5 for the special burgers and £4 for the normal ones (meal size with fries though).

Btw random ranting tangents are my speciality.

BigGWesty

Location : Glasgow, East Kilbride, Scotland (Not England. There are people who think they're the same >=(

Back to top Go down

Post  Kamisama Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:09 am

HDDS (Hard-Disk-Drive) used to be a lot cheaper last year. I bought 2TB for about $100 US. But a flood in Taiwan caused a spike in the cost for HDDS.
Kamisama
Kamisama

Back to top Go down

Post  kirean Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

[quote="BigGWesty"]
TheMaveric wrote:
I'm looking for hard drives but everywhere I look I'm seeing them for $450+ and they're all around 160GB.
...I'm guessing I'm looking for hard drives in the wrong places, or I'm looking at the wrong brands and they just want me to pay for the brand of hard drive.

I dont know how they deal with you scots, but newegg is great for inexpensive computer parts.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=15&name=Hard-Drives

Kamisama wrote:
HDDS (Hard-Disk-Drive) used to be a lot cheaper last year. I bought 2TB for about $100 US. But a flood in Taiwan caused a spike in the cost for HDDS.
While this is true, you can still get a 2TB HDD at best buy (who is notorious for having high prices), for around $139. Its still not *too* bad, but definitely higher than they used to be.
kirean
kirean

Back to top Go down

Post  Blooshamoo Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 pm

You talking about solid state drives westy? They're pretty pricey atm.
I've been buying all my parts from http://www.novatech.co.uk for about 8 years now, good prices and I've had zero DOA components. 2TB drives from £97.98

They also offer an extrememly diverse range of barebones system (case+mobo+cpu+ram setup and tested) for very competative prices. Makes upgrading easy.
Blooshamoo
Blooshamoo

Back to top Go down

Post  BigGWesty Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Blooshamoo wrote:You talking about solid state drives westy? They're pretty pricey atm.
I've been buying all my parts from http://www.novatech.co.uk for about 8 years now, good prices and I've had zero DOA components. 2TB drives from £97.98
I do have a hard drive in mind since one of my friends recommended it. I hadn't thought to ask my friends about what kind of hard drive I could look for.
I've got a full list of specs on this page https://ahnaris.forumotion.com/t2665-compatibility

BigGWesty

Location : Glasgow, East Kilbride, Scotland (Not England. There are people who think they're the same >=(

Back to top Go down

Post  Noobles Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 am

This has turned into a large conversation lol.

I might follow kirean or BigGWesty build.

But once I get the stuff, where goes where? O.o"

My budget is maybe $300-$600. I usually prefer the one on the shelves cause it's quite easy. But the outcome of a homebuilt computer would be better than the ones at store...
Noobles
Noobles

Back to top Go down

Post  kirean Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:11 am

deconhawk wrote:
But once I get the stuff, where goes where? O.o"

Read the manuals that come with the mobo and case. They will guide you every step of the way.
kirean
kirean

Back to top Go down

Post  Noobles Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Really? I thought it was buy the parts and Good Luck lol.

OK, I will consider the stuff you all said above.

Thanks for the help ^^
Noobles
Noobles

Back to top Go down

Post  kirean Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:22 pm

No worries :) Dont feel pressured to build one, but its alot easier than you think. And I personally feel its alot more rewarding.
kirean
kirean

Back to top Go down

Post  Blooshamoo Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:42 pm

I don't know why people worry about building PCs anymore. They're easier to put together than a beginners lego set. I'm not kidding. I suppose people worry about breaking parts but these days PC components are VERY robust. My current rig even survived me spilling a beer in it during an upgrade. It exploded, and I crapped my pants expecting it to be totalled but I replaced the power supply and everything worked just fine.
Blooshamoo
Blooshamoo

Back to top Go down

Post  kirean Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Blooshamoo wrote:I don't know why people worry about building PCs anymore. They're easier to put together than a beginners lego set. I'm not kidding. I suppose people worry about breaking parts but these days PC components are VERY robust. My current rig even survived me spilling a beer in it during an upgrade. It exploded, and I crapped my pants expecting it to be totalled but I replaced the power supply and everything worked just fine.

this ^
kirean
kirean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down